The first race which took place in the Garibaldi Square was on the
5th of June of 1864, simple horse-race "in a circle, in the Roman style", during the Chiocane's fair
(the cherries bunch's fair).
It became a real palio bringing together the rioni in 1935.
During the world wars, the Palio was suspended, but went on again as before from 1946.